Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Okada rider strips to evade arrest

A 42-year old commercial motorcycle operator popularly called Okada rider, Mr. Sunday Udoh, yesterday, stripped himself when a team of the Lagos State Environmental Sanitation and Special Offences Agency Taskforce attempted to arrest him for violating the road traffic law.

Udoh who was subsequently arrested at about 10:30 a.m. on Acme Road, Ikeja, immediately stripped to evade impounding of his motorcycle by the task-force led by the chairman, Superintendent, Bayo Sulaimon .

According to Kunle Olatunde, an eyewitness, “the task-force arrested him and two other Okada riders.     But immediately he was arrested, Udoh stripped himself to attract public sympathy.

“Despite the fact that he was not manhandled when he was arrested, he removed his clothes and wore them back.”

 The incident resulted in a gridlock along the ever busy road.

 Speaking to Vanguard after his arrest, Udoh said: “I didn’t know when and the reason I stripped myself. I was unconscious for several minutes. It was an hour after that I was told what happened after I was arrested.”

 According to him; “I collected the Okada from a friend on hire  purchase at N45, 000. Also, I have a wife and two children to feed; all these resulted to my temporary madness.”

Speaking, leader of the task-force, Sulaimon said that Udoh was arrested by the team because he violated the new road traffic law.

He said: “We did not touch him. We gave him several minutes to do whatever he wanted to do. And his behaviour then caused a traffic jam on the road.”

No comments: