Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Drivers ogling pedestrians cause one million crashes a year





A report in the Telegraph, UK has indicated that drivers ogling pedestrians cause nearly one million crashes in Britain every year. 
 
Lawyer Fashola must not see this report, else half of the men driving in Lagos will soon be liable to rot in jail! 



According to the report, figures show distracted motorists cause an average of 2,525 crashes every day - the equivalent of 921,840 per year.

Researchers found drivers crash their cars into lampposts or shunt other vehicles more in the summer when men and women are wearing less clothing.

A study of 2,142 drivers found 60 per cent of men admitted being distracted by attractive women while 12 per cent of women said they took their eyes off the road to leer at good looking men.

And 21 per cent of drivers also admitted that advertising billboards featuring pictures of picture perfect models were also a major distraction on the road.

Insurance company Direct Line discovered 17 per cent of male drivers admitted knowing their actions were dangerous but said they "could not help but look".

Spokesman Matt Owen said: "Stealing a quick look at an attractive pedestrian or billboard model may well be a bit of fun but, on a serious note, drivers shouldn't underestimate that this type of distraction is a major contributing factor in road accidents.

"The number of crashes caused in this way have not changed year on year so drivers obviously are not learning to keep their eyes on the road."

Between 2008 and 2009, 921,840 drivers across Britain admitted crashing because they were distracted by a member of the opposite sex.

Driver Martyn Beard, 32, from Tipton, West Mids., wrote off his Ford Fiesta last July when he ogled a girl outside a pub.

He said: "I was on my way into Birmingham when I saw this lovely looking blonde girl standing on the side of the road.

"She was outside a pub wearing pretty much next to nothing.

 "I couldn't take my eyes off her, she had the classic long legs and lovely figure.

"My concentration drifted and suddenly I realised I was about to crash into the car in front.

"I slammed on my brakes and this bloke went into the back of me. It wasn't too bad though and when I told him what had happened he actually saw the funny side of it.

"But I was gutted the girl didn't come and check if I was OK, she just walked off and I was stuck swapping insurance details with this big hairy bloke instead.

"The insurance paid out because the man went into the back of me but I did feel partially responsible for causing the crash."

 

No comments: